Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fishing Day

We went fishing with the kids a couple of days ago. It was the first time I'd been fishing, and I had fun. It was a beautiful sunny day again, and Mick has four fishing rods so we took those, some bait (the locals recommended corn and cheese and bacon rind), a couple of buckets, and some snacks and water. We also took sunscreen for the kids and everyone had a hat except me. I pulled my hair back in a bun to keep my head from getting sunburned, but I forgot about my neck.

We fished for a couple of hours. The kids liked it at first, Emily more than Eddie. Poor Mick had to deal with three people who needed their lines cast and their lines untangled and wanted advice. :) We didn't catch any fish at all, but we felt nibbles and we tried hard. We had to walk along a path but it hadn't been kept up so there were patches of places where large bushes blocked the path. Most of these were skeleton bushes, which don't have prickles or thorns and are just annoying to push through. However, there were large sections where the path was overgrown with prickle bushes. Imagine a bush that was solely rose thorns, only sharper, and you've got prickle bushes. Em was wearing long pants but the rest of us had shorts on and I think we all had blood drawn. I had cuts on my hands and arms too. Not the most fun part of the day.

There were clouds in the sky, but it was mostly sunny and warm. We fished in a couple of different spots but had no luck. It's hard to go fishing with a 6 and 8 year old because that doesn't keep their attention for very long and they don't want to be quiet of course. I can't say I blame them. :) I enjoyed it, and would go again. It was nice just to be outside, though the flies were killer. And then we get to the sunburn...




Because of the tilt of the earth and its rotation, Australia is closer to the sun during the summer than the US is during the summer. Now, I'm a pale girl anyway, so I should have been wearing sunscreen. But I didn't think about it. I guess I didn't realize the power of the Aussie sun. So, here are a few pics to show my scars. It hurts to raise my hands above my head and to cough or laugh or anything that moves my shoulders. And the blisters are getting worse. But, I will survive and now I know better! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment